Who is the course suitable for?
Organisations – Individuals – Public Sector
The Learning outcomes for Mental Health First Aid for Children & Young People are:
- To develop a greater awareness of what mental health may arise in children and young people and how Mental Health First Aid can help in a crisis, the different types of mental health issues and an understanding of their effects
- The triggers and causes of mental health dysfunction in children and young people that may steer towards a downward spiral
- How to identify early warning signs and red flags of a possible mental health issues in Children and Young People
- Once identified, how to offer initial support and signposting towards the appropriate treatment of Children & Young People
- Tools and strategies useful for stabilising and maintaining mental health wellbeing in children and young people
If a child or young person sprains their ankle or cuts their hand, a first aider knows what to do – However, what if a child or young person has a Panic attack, displays signs of psychosis or PTSD? Or even uses suicidal language? – Mental Health First Aiders are trained to be able to initially support the sufferer and signpost them to the professional help they need.